Do you wish to be part of an exciting and high tech engineering future in Cornwall?
Truro and Penwith College are working with leading Engineers and Manufacturers to offer an innovative new apprenticeship to aspiring engineers.
Our Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship is aimed at students who are 16+ who are working or looking to develop their career within engineering. This may be within a manufacturing, food processing, precision engineering or production environment. You may already be employed or interested in vacancies we have with local employers.
2 Year course
It would be desirable to have GCSE grade C or above in Maths, English, ICT and/or Science, or be working towards this level. If you do not meet these requirements please contact us about our Skills Development programme which will enable you to progress onto a full apprenticeship.
If you have the ambition and practical aptitude to be part of this exciting programme, join our Engineering Apprenticeship now, and you will build a practical skill set in a combination of:
A range of CNC machining techniques including:
- Operating CNC milling machines
- Operating CNC turning machines
- Operating CNC electro-discharge machines (subject to conditions)
- Operating CNC grinding machines
- Operating CNC machining centres
Knowledge and skills in Manufacturing Technology
- Working in engineering
- Principles of engineering technology
- Principles of manufacturing technology
- Machine components using milling techniques
- Machine components using turning techniques
- Using Computer Aided Manufacturing processes
- Using bench fitting techniques
- Welding by MIG process
Welding techniques and skills
- Metal Inert Gas (MIG) welding theory and practice
- Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG) welding theory and practice
- How to work safely and effectively in an engineering environment
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of your duties and obligations to health and safety
- Applying in principle their duties and responsibilities as an individual under the Health and Safety Act
Choosing a combination of the units detailed above you will gain an understanding of the latest cutting edge engineering skills and theories. E.g.
- Co-ordinate Measuring Machines (CMM) and techniques
- Metrology – the theory and practical aspects of measurement
- Computer Aided Design – using SolidWorks and Edge Cam programmes
- Production Control theory and practices
This innovative new apprenticeship will give you the skills and knowledge that you will need to work in a modern engineering environment and you will achieve:
- City & Guilds Level 2 NVQ in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Manufacturing Technology
Method of Training
You will work in a purpose built state of the art engineering facility that is receiving ongoing investment in equipment that will support you in your learning.
You will be working full time for an employer and have day release learning with the possibility of some block learning if required.
You will take a balance of practical and theory work using a variety of teaching methods including demonstrations, lectures, practical activities and presentations.
You will work on your own, in pairs and small groups practising skills and techniques within a realistic working environment.
There will be an opportunity to test and enhance your skills in engineering theory and practice by taking part in a programme of visits to local engineering employers.
You will need to have some protective equipment but you will be advised on this at the start of the course.
Progression Routes (to be confirmed)
This apprenticeship will equip you with a specific range of skills and knowledge to progress onto a Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship with the support of your employer.
The learning programme will be taught and assessed by qualified and experienced tutors.
Various assessment methods are used including: observation, practical project work, formal exams, multiple choice exams and modular coursework.
If you are interested in this apprenticeship speak to one of our Truro & Penwith College Business Development Advisors on 01872 242711.
Truro and Penwith College Business Centre
Telephone: 01872 242711
Our postal address is:
Truro College Business Centre
Truro College Business Centre is open from Monday – Friday 08.30 – 17.00